I love just about every kind of yeast loaf. But I must admit, that this one could make it to the very top of my list. In Germany, you can buy this kind of yeast loaf at the bakery all year around. I decided to ‘veganise’ the traditional loaf for this recipe. As this recipe is made with yeast as a raising agent – hence the name – it really does not miss any eggs. I love almond milk, so I went for this, but of course you could replace it with your favourite (plant) milk.
- Loaf tin
- Rolling pin
400 g flour
1 sachet of dried yeast
60 g sugar
50 g sunflower oil
200 ml almond milk
200 g ground hazelnuts
50 g chopped almonds
75 g sugar
125 g almond milk
50 g icing sugar
- Mix together flour, sugar and yeast in a bowl.
- Warm up the almond milk in a pot until it is lukewarm. Add the milk and the oil to the dry ingredients and mix the ingredients with an electric hand mixer – use the dough hook – for a couple of minutes. Once everything is combined well, place the lump of dough into a clean bowl, cover it with a kitchen towel and place it in a warm place for 60 minutes or more.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the ground hazelnuts, the chopped almonds, sugar and almond milk with a fork or a spoon.
- Once the 60 minutes have passed, roll out the dough until you reach a size of about 25x40cm.
- Spread the nut mixture on top. Roll the dough starting from the short (25cm) side. Now the slightly difficult part begins. Cut the roll you just created in half, stating from one end and finishing at the other. Now twist the two halves around each other three to four times. Make sure that the open side is always facing upwards. Now place the “braided” loaf into your loaf tin.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes at 180°C. Make sure the loaf doesn’t turn out too brown.
- Once your loaf has cooled down, gently remove it from the tin and cover it with icing: mix together the icing sugar and at first just a teaspoon of water. If it is not runny enough yet, add a little more water.
Howard18th November 2017 at 8:27 pm
I’ve tried the recipe and I can say it’s wonderful. You wouldn’t even know it’s vegan !!!