This is the perfect cake for autumn and winter days. A hint of cinnamon, in the combination with chocolate and pear will just make cold and windy days so much cozier.
This is a vegan recipe, however the cake is light and fluffy and you will be able to fool just about everybody: Nobody who tried this cake was able to believe me that it did not include any eggs! Thanks to the added chunks of pears it is also really moist. Before I made this cake, I didn’t know how much I loved the combination of chocolate and pears. The chopped walnuts add an extra little bit of crunch to the cake. What more do you want?
Bundt tin (greased)
250 g pears, chopped into 5mm cubes
2 tbsp lemon juice
300 g flour
1 tbsp corn starch
1 sachet of baking powder
180 g sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cinnamon
115 ml sunflower oil
270 ml almond milk (or any other (plant) milk of your choice)
1 tbsp apple vinegar
30 g walnuts, chopped roughly
100 g dark (vegan) chocolate
20 g walnuts, chopped finely
- First of all chop the pear(s) – I only needed one large one – into 5mm cubes. Place them in a bowl and drizzle the lemon juice on top. Set the bowl aside, until the pears are needed.
- Now you want to add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Mix the ingredients gently, until they are combined well.
- Add your chosen (plant) milk and the oil to the dry ingredients. After having combined everything well, add the pear chunks and the roughly chopped walnuts to the dough.
- Last but not least, add the apple vinegar. Give the dough another thorough stir.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Fill the mixture in to you greased Bundt tin. Bake the cake until a toothpick comes out clean. This will take between 50 and 60 minutes.
- Once the cake is removed from the oven, it is very important to let it cool completely before removing it from the tin.
- As soon as the cake has cooled, you can start melting the chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl placed into hot water. Make sure the chocolate doesn’t come in touch with the water.
- Drizzle the chocolate on top of the cake and finish it with the finely chopped walnuts.