Baking a cake without margarine, butter, oil whatsoever – is that even possible? I believe it is. And I must admit – the cake does not lack sugar. But hey, there’s no oil, margarine or butter… so let’s just pretend it’s healthy. Also it is filled with all the spices one could wish for in winter. I can’t wait to share this vegan recipe with you.
I know it’s only November, but I’m entirely ready for winter: I’m wearing my warm, cuddly jumpers, I walk around in my Christmassy socks and I just can’t wait for the Christmas markets to open their gates. This cake makes the wait a little easier.
Did I mention? It’s also a chocolate cake – chocolate and gingerbread spices, are there any more words needed?
Printable recipe below!
Baking tray (25cm x 40cm) lined with parchment paper
575 g flour
210 g sugar
¾ tbsp gingerbread spice
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tbsp cinnamon
15 g cocoa powder
½ sachet of baking powder
1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
500 ml almond milk
75 g raspberry jam
1 ½ tbsp apple vinegar
150 g icing sugar
2-3 tbsp almond milk
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix together flour, sugar, gingerbread spice, cinnamon, ground cloves, cocao powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- In a seperate bowl, mix together jam and almond milk. Add this to the dry ingredients. Mix the dough until everything is combined well.
- Last but not least, add the apple vinegar to the mixture. Mix this in gently, but thoroughly.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and spread the mixture on top.
- Bake the cake for 20-30 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the cake has cooled down, prepare the icing. Mix together icing sugar and at first just 1 tablespoon of almond milk. If the icing is not runny yet, add more almond milk – a tablespoon at a time. Spread the icing on top of the cake and let it dry.
I hope you’ll enjoy this egg-free and oil/margarine/butter-free cake!